This informal online survey, conducted between January 3-28, 2000, consisted of 20 questions for parents of figure skaters of all levels and from any country. Parents were asked to respond to questions concerning a variety of issues including expenses; communication with coaches, other parents and skating organizations; and abuse reporting procedures.
The following are responses made by all 233 parents who participated in the survey.
General Information (Questions 1-5)
1. How many of your children take, or have taken, skating lessons?
|Three or more||16|
2. How many years have your children been involved in figure skating?
|Less than two||32|
|Between two and five||65|
|Between five and ten||80|
|Between ten and fifteen||45|
|Between fifteen and twenty||7|
|More than twenty||1|
3. How old is your skater (or skaters)? (multiple answers possible)
|5 years old or under||19|
|6 - 9 years old||64|
|10 - 13 years old||67|
|14 - 17 years old||78|
|18 - 21 years old||23|
|Over 21 years old||3|
4. In what ways are your children involved in skating currently?
|Learn-to-skate lessons||53 (23%)||CFSA testing/competing, below novice level||34 (15%)|
|Recreational skating only||9 (4%)||CFSA testing/competing, novice level or above||22 (9%)|
|ISI testing or competing||49 (21%)||Testing or competing outside the U.S. or Canada||12 (5%)|
|USFSA testing/competing, below novice level||100 (43%)||Professional skating (tours, competitions)||3 (1%)|
|USFSA testing/competing, novice level or above||53 (23%)||Coaching or teaching||24 (10%)|
5. Are you yourself a member of any major skating organizations?
|USFSA||103 (44%)||PSA||3 (1%)|
|CFSA||33 (14%)||Other||15 (6%)|
6. How much did your children's skating expenses cost during the year 1999?Percentages for all 233 respondents are given in red. Percentages for 147 respondents who identified their children as testing or competing in the USFSA system are given in blue.
|Less than $1,000||10% (4%)||More than $10,000 - up to $50,000||27% (35%)|
|More than $1,000 - up to $5,000||31% (27%)||More than $50,000||6% (7%)|
|More than $5,000 - up to $10,000||25% (27%)|
7. What percentage of your children's skating expenses for the year 1999 were paid for through sponsors, donations, scholarships, grants, awards and prizes, and/or your skating federation?
|Zero||180 (77%)||More than 50%, up to 75%||3 (1%)|
|10% or less||32 (14%)||More than 75%||1|
|More than 10%, up to 25%||9 (4%)||100%||0|
|More than 25%, up to 50%||6 (3%)||(No answer)||2|
9. Over the past three years, how often have you consulted with the following people for information or advice regarding skating expenses (lessons, equipment, costumes, music, travel, sponsorship)?
|My skater(s)||Frequently: 47%||Occasionally:25%||Rarely: 8%||Never: 18%|
|My spouse||Frequently: 53%||Occasionally:25%||Rarely: 7%||Never: 11%|
|My skater's coach(es)||Frequently: 42%||Occasionally:35%||Rarely: 15%||Never: 5%|
|Other parents at my rink||Frequently: 20%||Occasionally:37%||Rarely: 20%||Never: 20%|
|Other skating parents not at my rink||Frequently: 3%||Occasionally:28%||Rarely: 31%||Never: 33%|
|Rink or pro shop staff||Frequently: 8%||Occasionally:25%||Rarely: 22%||Never: 40%|
|My skater's club (board members, newsletter, website)||Frequently: 12%||Occasionally:27%||Rarely: 24%||Never: 35%|
|My skater's federation (seminars, newsletter, website)||Frequently: 5%||Occasionally:23%||Rarely: 26%||Never: 42%|
|Books or magazines||Frequently: 11%||Occasionally:37%||Rarely: 24%||Never: 25%|
|Other online sources (forums, mailing lists, miscellaneous websites)||Frequently: 20%||Occasionally:30%||Rarely: 23%||Never: 24%|
8. How would you rate your level of communication with
people or organizations?
|Your skater(s)||Very good: 79%||Satisfactory: 17%||Less than satisfactory: 1%||Poor: 0|
|Your skater's coach(es)||Very good: 53%||Satisfactory:36%||Less than satisfactory: 6%||Poor: 3%|
|Most other parents at your rink||Very good: 23%||Satisfactory:57%||Less than satisfactory:13%||Poor: 4%|
|Your rink's staff||Very good: 21%||Satisfactory: 42%||Less than satisfactory:21%||Poor: 9%|
|Your skating club's board members *||Very good: 27%||Satisfactory:38%||Less than satisfactory:22%||Poor: 12%|
|Your skating federation *||Very good: 16%||Satisfactory:48%||Less than satisfactory:28%||Poor: 8%|
* Does not include respondents who chose "Not applicable"
10. Over the past 3 years, how often have you consulted with the following people for information or advice regarding what's expected of your skater in competition (skills, music, costumes, appearance, procedures, etc)?
Does not include respondents who chose "Not applicable"
|My skater(s)||Frequently: 68%||Occasionally:23%||Rarely: 4%||Never: 5%|
|My spouse||Frequently: 27%||Occasionally:25%||Rarely: 24%||Never: 24%|
|My skater's coach(es)||Frequently: 77%||Occasionally:21%||Rarely: 1%||Never: 1%|
|Other parents at my rink||Frequently: 23%||Occasionally:49%||Rarely: 28%||Never: 0|
|Other skating parents not at my rink||Frequently: 4%||Occasionally:23%||Rarely: 31%||Never: 42%|
|Official rule book||Frequently: 33%||Occasionally:31%||Rarely: 16%||Never: 20%|
|My own consultations with judges or officials||Frequently: 7%||Occasionally:22%||Rarely: 25%||Never: 46%|
|My skater's club (board members, newsletter, website)||Frequently: 8%||Occasionally:27%||Rarely: 26%||Never: 39%|
|My skater's federation (seminars, newsletter, website)||Frequently: 8%||Occasionally:27%||Rarely: 28%||Never: 37%|
|Books or magazines||Frequently: 14%||Occasionally:36%||Rarely: 27%||Never: 23%|
|Other online sources (forums, mailing lists, miscellaneous websites)||Frequently: 17%||Occasionally:34%||Rarely: 23%||Never: 26%|
12. Have you ever conferred with your skater's coach about what kind of physical contact or language they expect to use with your child in the course of lessons?
|Yes, at my request||36 (15%)|
|Yes, at their request||24 (10%)|
13. Would you welcome a parent-coach advisory group at your rink or club? Why or why not?
|Not sure||95 (41%)|
|Our rink or club already has one||21 (9%)|
19. Do you receive any of the following publications?
|FOCUS for Parents (USFSA parents' newsletter)||23 (10%)|
|SKATING Magazine||145 (62%)|
|Recreational Ice Skating (ISI magazine)||56 (24%)|
|Newsletters or periodic mailings from your skater's club||136 (58%)|
|Newsletters or periodic mailings from your skater's rink||54 (23%)|
|Skater's Edge magazine||35 (15%)|
|Other skating magazines such as Blades on Ice, American Skating World, Tracings, International Figure Skating etc.||99 (42%)|
11. Have you ever received any official information from any sporting organizations (via printed materials, workshops or seminars) about physical or sexual abuse or harassment?
14. Have you ever been informed of any formal procedures for reporting abusive behavior by coaches or employees at your rink?
15. If you observed abusive behavior by a coach or rink employee (or received a complaint from your child or another parent about abusive behavior), is there currently a specific person in a management/supervisor position at your rink or club to whom you would feel comfortable reporting this?
|Not sure||34 (15%)|
16. Have you ever attempted to report (to rink management) physical or sexual abuse or harassment by a coach or employee at your facility? Were you satisfied at how your complaint was handled?
|Yes, and was
satisfied at how it was handled
|Yes, but was not satisfied at how it was handled||20 (9%)|
|No, I have not had to
17. Are you satisfied that the complaint procedure at your rink is responsible and fair to parents and skaters?
|What complaint procedure?||117|
18. Have you ever considered filing a formal complaint or grievance with your skater's local club or federation (USFSA, CFSA, etc) over a coach's or a fellow member's conduct? If you ended up not filing a complaint, what was the reason why?
Question 20: "Is there anything that you now wish you had been able to get information about more easily when you and your child were new to skating?" (click to see responses)